Your roof is one of your home’s fundamental components. After all, it protects your family against the outdoors and also adds a ton of aesthetic value to your home. With that said, you also need to take the proper actions to ensure that your roof can continue to fulfill its purpose. It’s also important to know the signs that your roof has run into damage and show that it’s about time to have your roof replaced.
In this post, the leading asphalt shingles installation expert, Dior Construction, shares the signs that tell you if it’s time to have your roof replaced.
It’s Normal to Have Signs of Roof Aging
Through the normal use of your roof, signs of aging will start to appear, especially if it’s approaching the end of its lifespan. The signs will also vary depending on the roofing materials that you have. For instance, here are the things you might notice on an asphalt shingle roof, the most common roofing system in the country:
1. Curled Shingles. Do not be shocked since asphalt shingles tend to shrink as they age. In turn, the edges of the shingles will start to curl due to the shrinkage.
2. Small Cracks. Cracks are usually a sign of concern. But in the context of the weathering process, minor cracks are normal, as long as they aren’t deep or there are no significant perforations on your roof, as long as water doesn’t leak into your roof.
3. Granule Loss. Your residential roofing contractor will tell you that it’s normal for a roof to lose granules over time. The amount of granules your roof will lose will depend on its material, its age, as well as the elements.
It’s Not Normal to Notice These Signs
What are the red flags that tell you to have your asphalt shingles replaced? Here are some of them:
1. Excessive Granule Loss. If you notice that your shingles are almost bald, this means that your roof has excessive granule loss. This doesn’t bode well for your home since these granules protect your shingles against UV rays. Over time, your roof will start to leak due to the intense heat.
2. Roof Blisters. Roof blisters pop out when the moisture in your shingles evaporate. While blisters on their own aren’t problematic, they will be once they pop. They leave behind crater-like formations on your roof that will slowly wear it down and expose the interiors to the elements. Make sure that you have your shingles replaced before they pop.
Looking for the top company that offers residential roofing services? Contact Dior Construction at (201) 470-5077 or fill out our contact form. We are a GAF Master Elite® contractor and have been in the roofing industry since 2010. We serve Essex County and Bergen County, NJ, and all of New Jersey.